Appointments available by video or in person.

What are child support modifications in Colorado?

On Behalf of | Sep 18, 2014 | Child Custody

When you are one of the parties involved in a child custody case, you have probably heard about child support modifications. Child support modifications are changes to the child support order, which can only be done through the court system.

Colorado residents who pay or receive child support might have some questions about the modifications that they would like answered. These answers are basic answers, so it is vital that you determine how applicable laws might affect your case.

How can I request a child support modification?

You have to file a written request to the Child Support Enforcement Unit that is over your case. Your request has to be signed. It must include a variety of information, including income and expense affidavits, as well as a reason for the modification request.

What are the reasons to request a review?

You can request a review for child support modification if you or the child’s other parent has a change in income. You can also request one if it has been more than three years since your last review. A change in the costs of raising the child, a change in the number of overnight visits or child custody order or a child being emancipated are also reasons that support a review request.

How long does a review take?

It can take up to six months for the child support order to change. In order for the child support order to change, there has to be a change of at least 10 percent to the order. Child support orders can also be changed if there is a change in medical support orders.

Parents who are paying or receiving child support should make sure that the conditions are met for the review request. Additionally, providing all required information might help the case to move forward faster. For this reason, you should make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities prior to making the request for a child support modification review.

Source: Colorado Department of Human Services, “Changing an Order” Sep. 18, 2014