Appointments available by video or in person.

Are modifications and appeals possible in divorce cases?

On Behalf of | Apr 14, 2016 | Divorce

When you are going through a divorce, there are two ways that it can be handled. You can either work things out with your ex and come up with a settlement or you can leave the decisions about the divorce up to a judge. The option that you choose can have an impact on what your options are if you are unhappy with the outcome.

What are my options to modify something in the divorce decree?

There are some instances in which you can seek a modification of different aspects of the order. These aspects are usually spousal support, child custody, child support and visitation. In this case, you would have to file a motion to modify with the court. If you opt to pursue that option, you will need to ensure that the request you are making meets the requirements of the court since you can’t seek modifications on a whim.

What are my options for appealing an order?

If your divorce terms were determined by the court, it is sometimes possible to file an appeal. Generally, the appeals aren’t likely to result in changes but you can appeal the court’s decision if you feel that you have a good reason to do so. If your divorce terms were decided via a settlement or agreement, you won’t be able to appeal the orders since you willingly agreed to the terms.

Understanding the options you have can help you decide how you should seek to have orders changed. In truth, there are some instances in which you might not have any options open for changing the orders.

Source: FindLaw, “Appeals and Motions to Modify the Divorce Judgment,” accessed April 14, 2016