Appointments available by video or in person.

Child Custody

Seeking The Care And Well-Being Of Children Of Divorce

In Colorado, child custody issues can affect married couples who divorce, as well as parents who have children outside of marriage. The best interests of your children come first, whether you are married or not.

At The Offices of Keane Law, LLC, in Boulder we handle all issues relating to the physical, emotional and financial well-being of children:

  • Allocation of parental responsibilities: In Colorado, child custody and visitation are referred to as allocation of parental responsibility. Parental responsibility includes parenting time and decision-making.
  • Custody evaluations and child and family investigators: If you and your spouse cannot agree on child custody and visitation issues, you can agree to appoint — or the Court may appoint — a Child and Family Investigator (CFI) to conduct a custody evaluation.
  • Child support: Colorado uses a formula to determine how much child support you are entitled to receive or obligated to pay. The numbers that are used in the formula, though, are often up for debate. For example, how many overnights does each spouse have with the children? How much money does each spouse make? Is either spouse voluntarily underemployed?
  • Grandparents’ rights: Colorado is a grandparents’ rights state. If you are a grandparent who has been denied visitation with a grandchild, you may have legal options.
  • Paternity: For unmarried parents, the first step in determining parental responsibility and child support is to establish paternity. If the parents disagree as to whether the man is the father of the child in question, a paternity test can be required.
  • Modification and enforcement of orders: Child support orders can be modified after divorce if there is a substantial and continuing change in circumstances. Child custody orders can be modified after divorce at any time based on the children’s best interests.
  • Child relocation and parental move-aways: If you have joint child custody, neither parent — including the parent with primary physical — can move the child to a different region without Court approval or the other parent’s agreement.
  • Interstate child custody and support issues: If you have custody or support issues with an ex in another state, our lawyers can help you explore your legal options.
  • Guardianship: Seeking to become a legal guardian can be a complex matter. Our lawyers can help you efficiently navigate this process so you can start your new life.

Our Focus Is Your Family. Contact Us For A Consultation.

Please contact The Offices of Keane Law, LLC at 720-771-9278 or email us for a free 30-minute consultation. Let our experience alleviate the stress of trying to figure out child custody matters on your own.